View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Smile

LOGBOOKS:

Everything I log is, in some manner, 100% on paper. I keep the paper pages in annual 3 ring binders. About the only Qs I do not 100% log are my mobile SSB contacts, although I get many of them.

Then if I get bored enough, I'll add contacts manually into the QRZ logbook after the fact. Then download the QRZ database file and upload it to eQSL.

When I setup and run JT65, the JT65 program "automatically" keeps its own electronic log (and I also make a paper log as the digital software hums along) which I will then upload to QRZ and eQSL.

Side-note: I find it a bit strange when I add a few new manual contacts to either the QRZ logbook, or the eQSL logbook, then download the WHOLE database file from one (either QRZ or eQSL) and upload it to the other. Thousands of records downloaded, uploaded, analyzed, and duplicates carefully disguarded, just to add a half dozen more contacts. Seems like a waste, somehow... but I guess electrons are cheap . Still seems wasteful in some manner, if only wasteful of computer cycles .

I started the LOTW signup process a couple of years ago, but something went wrong and I never went back and took the time to troubleshoot what went wrong so no LOTW at this time. Since downloading / uploading seems so easy between QRZ and eQSL, I suspect, but do not know, that when / if I ever readdress LOTW that I'll just download either of them into LOTW and it too will be updated... I guess ?

QSLs:

I REALLY like paper QSL cards. I still get excited when one shows up (even from Iowa ). I respond 100% to every card received.

I also use the eQSL "eCards". This option comes with your sign-up to the eQSL logbook but you do have to select the option (IIRC) and take the time to design / create an eQSL eCard. I have printed out a few of them. But, I find the process cumbersome and the cards themselves are usually pretty basic. Few, if any, are pretty, my own eCard included (but I did try!).

I'll attach a jpg of my mobile QSL to this post. It is my new favorite card. It was designed by Jim, N2EST. I probably have 8 other designs for my home QTH. Funny ones, holiday ones, simple ones, serious ones, etc. I decide the appropriate one to send at the time of the sending .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W7JZE color.jpg (58.7 KB, 15 views)

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote