View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
w7wv

Yes I know about the coax.
This is my second AH-4. I look at the schematic and such when I had a 706 I wanted to install in my diesel truck.
I just installed my own 259 connector on a plate out board of the case and tried it with coax feed to my whip. It worked fine.
The only reason I can see that they want that lead as short as possible is that it becomes part of the antenna?
They say ideally 23' will do all bands short of 160 of course. I have never really been much for 80 or 40 so far in my life preferring 15 and 17 when they are up and running. I also use 15, 20 and 30 for a little CW work when I get the urge.
I just like to play around and experiment a bit. I know the 108" whip can be improved on by adding length. I did it before when parked in the mountains by adding random lengths of wire to my older truck and throwing the wire up into high pine trees.
It's going to be interesting to see how much directivity I find myself with when I get the wire onto this sloper.
By the way. I found out that two small cinching cargo straps work to secure this to the ladder. Run one at the top and one at the bottom horizontally to the vertical supports for the ladder. I loop the straps around the support tube one time for stability.
One it's hanging and then supported for movement with the straps it's one tough support to try and move at all!
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote