View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
n5rtg
full-timer

Default Pictures and where r we

We're in Okeechobee, FL for a couple of months. Heading up to Hamcation next week for four days, then another few weeks back here before we head to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, then Wyoming for April through beginning of July.

Full-timers almost three years, in a 25' Airstream trailer, N4RTG and I enjoy traveling together.

Pictures are up, more to add later. Door-mount brackets are soooo much better than the mag mounts we had. Best mag mount was our Larsen, it worked well for the 1/4 wave antenna.

We wanted more antenna, ended up with a Comet SSB7. Way too much antenna (58") for the small magnet, plus had knocked even the 1/4 wave antenna off and dinged the truck (who knew it wouldn't go under the garage door?). Hard-mounting was the only way I would go.

Ready to have a pro installer for two nmo holes in truck roof -- hey, it makes the truck more valuable when you trade. Just tell the salesman it is prepped for cellphone antennae. Anyway, I was ready then stumbled onto a good deal on a pair of door mounts.

A ham friend in Texas has this identical setup with the shorter 11m antenna on the curbside door and the 5' vhf/uhf on the street side door -- he really likes it, has been using the setup a couple of years. Looks good, works great. We set ours up Nov 2009 in Mesa, AZ, and are still tweaking it.

No complaints at all. Amazing improvement over the 1/4 wave whips for 2m (also changed the dual band on the trailer's roof to a 38" dual band Hustler). More antenna and more height has provided much more signal in and out.

Enjoyed talking to you,

Jim
find us here
visit our website
or our blog
n5rtg is offline   Reply With Quote