Thread: Radios new job
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Radios new job

I have landed a new job at a small company that services and refurbishes/resells medical imaging equipment, such as MRI, CT and nuclear.

It is a departure from telecom, satcom, datacom stuff I have been doing since 1980. In telecom and the others, I got my butt kicked to the curb every 3 years pretty much like clockwork. I figure this is an opportunity to change gears and possibly NOT get laid off again between here and retirement.

Learning lots of new stuff is always fun.

And new adventures, too, like today I dropped a 300 pound, $40,000 x-ray tube that goes in a CT machine.

While it didn't do a lot of damage, it will need a new piece of plumbing (they are cooled with a little radiator like a car engine, only oil is used instead of water) it's not usable until we fix it. It didn't fall far, it just tipped off the hand truck while me and another guy were trying to load it into a truck.

My boss knows it should have been crated before we tried to move it, and he knows how heavy they are. So he just sort of shrugged it off.

But anyway, I now commute down two flights of stairs to my office when I'm not going to a customer or to our service center, and that's not often, and they pay mileage. Sure beats the 110 mile daily round trip I used to make.

So now I have some kind of a life. The next big trip is back to Dauphin Island after Christmas and that looks like it's going to be an annual event.

I might even do more posts and more radio stuff, too.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote