View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7wv View Post
TNX for the responses so far.
I like to band hop and rag chew so I would rather have an antenna I can tune from inside.
I had a buddipole at one time. Neat for portable ops but not for me.
I had thought about the mast from the hitch area (or elsewhere) to get a screwdriver or other types into the air and that may provide the mount for me just fine.
With a screwdriver I would rather be able to see it for reference marks for quicker tuning as I have had a couple of them. I could mount it up front so I could see it I guess.
I had an OutBacker at one time which worked nice but again you had to get out to change the plugs.
Someone in another forum some time ago said they used a push up fiberglass mounted pole to snake a wire up and then tuned it. I am not sure where they got the lightweight pole but it sounded good too.
I too like to band hop and this is the one thing that I don't like about the Buddipole. I might get it out this weekend and see how well it will work with the AH-4 tuner using the long whips and no coils. With the long whips you can use 15 meters and above without the coils so I'm thinking that 20 and 40 should be OK with the AH-4 but won't know until I try. The one think I know about the AH-4 you have to have a good ground or counter post or you will get a lot of RF feed back. Keep us posted on what works for you Ken.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote