View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
W5DOK
Old Member

True. 1000 watts is still 1000 watts. I have a AL-1500 sitting 2 feet from this computer and 15 feet from a large TV. There is never a ripple on the TV or any trash on my computer. My old Henry from 40 years ago would take a TV a block away off the air and talk on the church organ 2 blocks away. RFI suppression in todays electronics is superb and unwanted harmonics are almost a thing of the past. My RV is practically all processor controlled. Lights, climate control, entertainment, navigation, leveling, ant the engine and transmission. Yet I have never have had any issues with interference from my ham equipment and I routinely run 500 watts on SSB. (I know. The Tarheel is rated for 200) My only attempt at RFI control is that the antenna is mounted on the rear ladder and the ladder has a ground strap going to the frame and I have the radio and amp grounded directly to the frame. I always check with my neighbors to make sure that I'm not bothering their electronics and so far, nary a complaint. Most of the hams that I have ran across in rv parks traveling around the country, are very careful not to interfere with their neighbors and as a result, most rv park owners are very tolerant of our antennas, up to a point. They get a little testy about long wires running thru the trees, but usually allow moderate sized ground planes and beams.
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote