View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Default Tried again

OK, I've re-done this - it's a bit different than the first one.

Also, to report on radio: None so far, a per above.

Thanks for the mall tip.

Report One 4/27/08 Houston, TX

The Marines define a clusterf**k as any assembly of marines where one grenade would kill more than 3 marines. By that definition,
I'm not sure the trailer hitch issues were that big a deal, but it was a royal pain to have to use 3 suppliers to source and install
the hitch and wiring on the Subaru. Sigh.

After the initial 4-day run from home to Neceda, WI without the Raindrop camper, we arrived to pick up our new home.
It took about two hours to get the tour of the systems, meet the builders and connect the car and check wiring of the system,
we then departed to Appleton, WI to visit family. We did our initial camping nights in their driveway
to shake it down a bit before serious camping started.

Our first days run out of Appleton took us to Governer Dodge State Park, near Dodgeville, WI [Home of Land's End company] and
near Spring Green and FLW's Taliesin, which we managed to tour [note that most of WI does not open until May 1]. We stayed
two nights here then headed out thru the Town of Mineral Point, which we really liked.

Had to stop in to have the car checked here - we had a check engine light come on - turned out to be a minor glitch in the sensor
package, we reset it and it's been fine since then.

We visited the Field of Dreams and then went down the Mississippi to Wildcat Den State park near Davenport, IA. This park, while
very hard to find, was nearly empty and very remote. After a good diner breakfast, we were off again, headed south.

The next day we continued south to Hanniabal, MO and toured the home of Mark Twain. A rather toursitly place, but worth the visit
anyway as a favorite author. We continued south and ended up in the Cuivre River state park. This was a sunny and relatively empty
camp as well - good weather favored us here.

We visited the St. Louis Arch for a drive-by opportunity and headed west to Lake of the Ozarks State park.

We continued west from LOO and crossed the very corner of Kansas and went into Oklahoma! A visit to the visitors burero gave us
directions to Lake Eufaula where we got lakeside camping and lightning bugs in the bargain. Our first time pluggin in the camper, the
A/C was pretty darn nice.

We skirted east of Dallas and then headed towards Houston where another good campsite and Tornado warnings waited us at
Fort Parker state park - another lakeside camp with a nice warning to watch out for Alligators. Also a novelty - prohibited drinking - in
Texas of all places where it used to be required to drive with an open container...

Now in Houston, TX with a plan to go to Austin from here.

Towing is fine with the Subaru - I'm pleased with the handling and tracking of the trailer behind the car, and while I wish for a bit more
power, I think I can live with what we have for now.

Camping with the trailer is great - it's got everything you could ask for built right in and it's been very easy to work with and adapt to,
and we are so pleased with the storage space available - we have almost emptied the car which is good news for the Alaska project.

We have used the A/C a couple of times for comfort when sleeping - very useful indeed.

We have also used the computer to watch movies on - with both the inverter and with AC power connected - I need to do more work
on how much power the AC inverter consumes when powering the laptop.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote