View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
Bill Baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreese1 View Post
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2...er-that-works/

The link above is a great down to earth solar / boondocking information source. Bob has been there and done it and offers tremendously valuable advice.

I installed a 135W Kyocera panel and a 3 stage charge controller on my 2005 national RV - Tropical roof. I wanted a good charge source that would fully charge my 470ah battery tank with the correct (14.8V) voltage. I also installed a Trimetric monitoring system and it is terrific.

Only have about 7 amps in full sun, but I wired 4 guage wire from the roof to the controller and have the room and controller amps to add 3 more later
on. Duane
Trimetrics is the only way to go for a battery monitor. I had an E Meter on the other coach but alas no longer made.

My max has been 26A at 28.2VDC. That's within less than half an amp from the panels maximum. Wired two panels in series and then to (#10 UF) Outback MX60 controller and on to the battery bank. Current flow in the #10 wire is only 6.5A I don't think the voltage drop over 12 feet is worth consideration. Maybe wrong as I didn't do any calcs. Just a SAWG.

Is is fun to sit in a boondocking campsite without the generator running everyday. Especially when the neighbors are running their's morning and evening for a couple of hours.

Cost effective probably not but is fun.

Bill
SKP #92317 FMCA #162523
MCI 102A3 w/S50 and HT70
Bill Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote