View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

I have recycled a Border Patrol outpost travel trailer (FEMA type) into an HF MARS emergency Communications trailer complete with an Icom 7200, a Comet CHA-250B vertical antenna, a PACTOR-II USB modem, and satellite communications. I work for the Transportation Security Administration which has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Army MARS. So I get to play radio at work and get paid for it!

When the trailer was issued to me over a year ago, it had a roof leak that had caused extensive floor and wall damage. We didn't have to pay a dime for the trailer, and I did almost all of the work myself--except for the awning installation. I replaced the paneling on one wall with dry erase panel board which makes an excellent giant notepad. I laid new plywood and floor tiles on the floor, and converted the bedroom into an office with oak cabinets and a wrap-around prefab counter top. My comms trailer also has solar power, but only a 45 watt set of panels, enough to operate a light or two and maybe a laptop and the radio with limited transmissions in extreme circumstances. We also have a 5000 watt generator.

A coworker and I will be dragging the MARS trailer to New Orleans next week to deliver MREs and cases of water to the area prior to the start of hurricane season. I've never been to New Orleans, and I'm getting paid to travel with an RV! Sweet gig! We'll be staying in hotels overnight, and deploying the antenna for communications checks along the route--most likely in whatever restaurant parking lot where we stop for lunch!

Terra, my wife, will be following us in her car to tag along for the trip.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote