View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
Radio
Administrator

And that's that.

Tomorrow the ham radio tag comes off the truck and goes up on the wall in the shack. A radio callsign has been following me around from back there for better than 20 years.

No more.

I can save $350 over the next ten years without running the plates. That's enough to pick up something really nice at a ham fest.

Getting the new tag required an emissions test, lots of money, and all had to be done today after work and before 5:00 pm as tomorrow is my birthday and they fine you for being late on the tags. So I'm already copping an attitude.

The final straw was the lady asked for a copy of my ham license, which I did not have with me. So I said, "Nevermind, give me a regular plate and my $35 back." And she did.

I guess there is some advantage to NOT advertising your call. And the plate will look great on the hamshack wall. If I pull the one off the front I can increase airflow to the tranny cooler.

We came a long way from no $20 plate fee to $20 plus $35 status tag fee. That's a $55 swing. Just can't do that. ($20 would be reasonable) And the contract between be and the State of Georgia where they can use my vehicle and radio equipment in case of emergency, in exchange for a free radio tag, is dissolved.

But the taxes on the trailer and truck are good for another year.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote