Thread: Comet CHA-250B
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I have a Kenwood KAT-1 auto tuner.. A open "Eye bolt" near the roof line of my motor home, a 12 foot painter's pole, some nylon cord and 2 pound weights.

Just now I'm in an open field, no trees, no poles no ... anything.

I pass one length of cord over the eye, it's tied to a 100' wire a few feet out, the short end goes to the KAT (Kenwood Auto Tuner) The far end hooks to another length of Nylon, it (the cord) loops through a hole in a triangular piece of plywood that is screwed on the painter's pole instead of a roller. Two more lengths of cord, which go through colorful "Fun Noodles" for visual enhancement go from the other two corners of the wood to tent stakes.

I get good signal reports.

If I'm in among trees.. I leave the pole in the pass through compartment (it gets shorter fast) and hook a 2 pound weight to the far end of the cord on the far end.

I do a "David and Golaith" type sling of the weight over tree limbs.. I can easily hit 20 feet. Again I get good reports.

I have one park won't let me put it up.. So I mde a very ugly Slinky type antenna,, ANd put it up instead, it hangs above the motor home on a ladder at one end and a 25 fot flag pole at the other.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote