Thread: More new Hams
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
electricflyer

Another successful test session for February. We now have 3 more new Techs and one new General. One person made it by the minimum correct answers and one standout that missed 1 question on his tech exam. I told the other VE's that he had help with the exam. They asked why I said that and I told them to take a look at the name on his jacket. It said "Archdiocese of Atlanta" so he obviously had help. He passed his General and missed only 2 questions on it. He said it was touch and go if he would be able to make the test session. He does hospital visits and is on call for preforming last rites and he got a call on his way to the test session but fortunately was not an emergency. I told him a ham license would come in handy if he gets a call as a missionary in Africa. He said he would love to go.

We always encourage everyone to take the next level test if they pass. Most don't do well but on occasion we have a reluctant tester pass the General. Most say they never studied for it but at least they get an idea of what they need work on. Those with an electrical/electronics background naturally do better since they breeze through the technical questions and only need to learn rules and regulations.

They usually ask, "which questions did I miss". We don't note any of that so we just say 5 and 13 or make up some other number. We tell them the FCC only wants to know if it was a pass or fail and that's all the tester needs to know. Kind of like a doctor. Was he at the top of his/her class or the bottom. Makes no difference they are all Medical Doctors.
Marv
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote