Thread: Fyi
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Below is the REPLY that I posted on HRN !

Quote from Wikipedia: "The first manufacturer to offer D-Star compatible radios is Icom. As of July 06, 2011, no other amateur radio equipment manufacturer has chosen to include D-Star technology in their radios. The technology requires the use of a proprietary AMBE Codec that is owned by Digital Voice Systems, Inc. and is only licensed to Icom at this time."

Well here I go Sticking my foot in my mouth again:
It always amaze's me how a small group of people seem to decide what's good for them is good for everybody.
The biggest problem I see at the moment is that as in the above quote the key word is "PROPRIETARY" and so far I see no other equipment on the market or anyone building an "ADD-ON" box / adapter at an affordable price to the rest of the amateur community.
The next thing is , since D-STAR is "PROPRIETARY" doesn't this present something of a conflict with the rules ( PART 97 ) ?
Next, since this is still a repeater system why doesn't it fall with-in the same rulings as an analog repeater system and why can't those "GOOD-OLE-BOY'S" down in Texas who do the repeater coordinating go through and weed out some of the "PAPER REPEATERS" and utilize those pairs ?

Don't take me wrong, I have nothing against digital technology (or TEXAN'S) but I have to wonder if this group is going to buy every ham in Texas new Icom radio's ($$$$) just to be able to use these "PROPRIETARY" frequency's ?

I have heard that in many areas club's and other organizations (ares, races) are getting grant's from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to install repeaters (D-STAR) with the intent of having a repeater in EVERY county of the U.S.A. that is "LINKABLE" to the next (something like trunking) a interesting idea but in some areas not quite practical.
Is DHS going to provide every ham in the U.S. with a new D-STAR radio or two ? probably not !

Well , there's MY RANT for the morning, NO FLAMES PLEASE, Just thoughts.