Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
tcbetka

Thanks for the link...I see that AES is indeed still in operation in Milwaukee!

As for me, I am a wound care & hyperbaric medicine physician in Green Bay. I used to fly airplanes for the State of Wisconsin (before medical school), and that's when I got my Novice license (1990). I can remember flying around over Wisconsin in 1992, practicing morse code by reading all the placards in the cockpit, and converting them all to code! When I took my code test in 1992, they had us try the 20 wpm run, and then take that test. Well, I only missed it by one point--the dipole was mounted on a POST, but I said a POLE...20wpm goes by really quickly, lol. But I got my Advanced then, and then actually got an HF rig with a long-wire antenna in the back yard, and was able to make some Dx contacts via CW mode. Then I went to medical school in 1993, and only used 2-meters after that. No more HF since then, and I miss it.

So now I am settled in practice here in Green Bay, and we just bought a 1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP rig. Well, we are planning to use the coach 2-3 weeks per year in the summers while our daughter is still in high school, and then some on the weekends around those summer trips. Well I'd really like to get back into working HF, so I've started back towards getting that done--though it's going to take another month or so to investigate this some more. Incidentally, I still have a G5RV and a while bunch of really good coax, so I am good to go for home base...at least to some degree.

But whatever radio I decide on, it will undoubtedly be used in the house, and in the RV. And (in my spare time...) I am a computer science student here at a local college, taking one evening course per semester. So anything I buy needs to be radio-control capable...simply because I am such a computer geek! But YouTube has some neat videos of the TS-2000 under computer control--and in fact that may be the strongest argument for that radio (over the Yaesu & ICOM), simply because there may be more software available than for the other rigs.

TB
tcbetka is offline   Reply With Quote