Thread: Solar systems
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
photog101

Send a message via AIM to photog101 Send a message via Yahoo to photog101

I took a little different approach. I went with a bank of 4 Trojan 6 volt batteries and they last me for 24 hours and I probably draw at least that much if not more. I use 90 Watts of Solar Panels, from Harbor Freight with a 30 Amp controller. I have a dedicated 1200/3600 watt inverter, also from Harbor Freight, that is for the microwave and coffee maker plus a plug strip coming off of it for other things. I too have an afinity to noise in the morning when people are making coffee and breakfast while running generators.

During the day, there are times that I will run the generator to top off the batteries. To get the recovery that you are looking for, you are going to have one heck of a panel farm on the roof. My 90 watts take up about 18 sq. ft. You will probably need to use the gene, like I do to meet your needs. I run the gene about 2 to 4 hours per day during high noise hours. I have left the gene off for a couple of days when I am not using to much power. This is also a good thing for the gene, as it keeps things in shape.
photog101 is offline   Reply With Quote