View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #30
Radio
Administrator

Default They're here!

When we got to B-I-L house there was some confusion over the "shipping container" the birds were to travel in. Sweet Wife understood we were borrowing a dog crate to haul them in. B-I-L had no clue, and come to find out loaned the dog crate out some time ago and had no idea where it was. So we rounded up some cardboard boxes, cut some air holes, shoved 4 chickens in one and 2 in the other and loaded them up in Sweet Wife's mini-van.

Amazingly they rode quietly, and didn't stink too much. Seems like as long as a chicken has a companion, they remain reasonably calm.

Got them home and dumped them over into the coop. They seemed fairly calm and happy to be out of the boxes. They figured out the feeders right away. The waterer took a little longer as it is a different system than they were used to at B-I-L's brooding house. Sweet Wife proceeded to "teach" them how to use the nipple water system.

Chickens are good mimics. If one bird sees another doing something they'll do it too. Especially if it involves food or water. We checked on them a few hours after arrival and one was getting a drink, so we figure they'll all figure it out shortly.

BTW we have 3 New Hampshire Reds (not Rhode Island Reds) and 3 Barred Rocks. They're all supposed to lay brown eggs.

So here's the girls all tucked into their new home. And Sweet Wife teaching one of them to use the waterer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0275.jpg (84.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0274.jpg (93.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0276.jpg (84.3 KB, 0 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote