View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
... Cooper, Firestone and Bridgestone all make a competing tire, and cheaper, too. But noisier, rougher riding and warranty at only 50K not 70K.

Fortunately I have time (and some tread) ... All I have to do now is wait.
Waiting isn't so bad -- January isn't far off.

Nowadays, and for the last 30 years or so, I spend a little more and wait as long as necessary for Michelin tires. Why is that? It's because I have had premature tire failures with every other brand I ever bought. Every other brand. But, in the thirty years I've used Michelin exclusively, not one tire has failed. Not one. No tread separations, no blowouts, no leakers, no nuthin.

Once, in my foolish youth (1965 or so), I bought five new Firestone Wide Ovals for an Olds convertible. Within months, every one of them, and four warranty replacements, failed with tread separations. Good old Firestone! Lucky I never crashed. Finally I smartened up, bought another brand, and had no more problems. Expensive lesson! I wouldn't drive across the parking lot on a blankety-blank Firestone tire.

I've had wheels fail, valves leak, all sorts of things in that time -- a very-hard-to-find crack in a Corvette wheel was a really difficult leak to diagnose -- but no Michelin tire, itself, has ever given me a surprise.

I buy'em at Discount Tire, sizes that they carry anyway, and have been totally pleased with their service everywhere (in the Western USA they're called American Tire). Any of their stores, anywhere in the country, can look up every tire I ever bought from them, and smilingly give me the free rotation and balance when it's due. Free repair if I pick up a nail. And like that. They know how to keep my business.

Alas, Discount Tire doesn't carry my 225/80R22.5 motor home tires.