View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
N7OQ

I have a Hygain 14AVQ that I have been using sense 1978 and have used in many different configurations, Ground mounted roof mounted, mounted on top of the Barracks, with and without radials. Great antenna but it worked the best mounted in the roof with radials. When I ground mounted it without radials I got a perfect SWR on all bands and as far as the radio was concerned everything was good but I could hardly get out across the street.

A new ham here just bought a so called radial free vertical antenna and was very disappointed with it. He now has a g5rv up and loves it, the vertical he had did say to get best output use radials. If it were me I would do some research on this antenna on the web, is sounds great, small size, no radials, many bands. But it might be one of those to good to be true things. With my friend he spent a lot of money for a new HF rig, new antenna, and accessories, sets it all up and no one can here him, he was so disappointed. I think he sold the vertical antenna.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote