Thread: Grounding
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

The $5.00 "IDIOT LIGHT" is a good idea Ted !
I have seen even good RV Manufactures make wiring errors every once in a while (never hurts to check).

Antenna Grounding / counterpoise, is a whole different "Bag Of Worms" and something for another thread , and here again I would refer to K0BG's web site for mobile installs (Alan has done a lot of good work and a good presentation on this subject).

Campground wiring can leave a lot to be desired, especially in some of the "OLDER" campgrounds and State Park's where the wiring was put in many years ago and never upgraded to handle the load demand of newer RV's.

I have a permanently mounted "Panel Meter" to check line levels ( sag or buck) and in some places it's interesting to watch the neighbors A/C unit or refer unit kick on and off (tells you a lot about the campground wiring) but for most people a simple "multi-meter" and knowing how to properly use it will serve the same purpose.

Sometimes just being aware of the operating conditions (both those you can control and those you cant) can save some headaches.