View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default What are your plans for Dec 21, 2012?

There used to be a joke about TV news, about the time some stations were still using 16mm film and others had converted to portable ENG (electronic news gathering) equipment.

World Ends Today...Film at 11 o'clock!

So for fun, let's assume the world really ends on December 21, 2012.

Then there's no point in doing some things, like paying the mortgage (or any other bills, for that matter) putting up the Christmas Tree (or shopping) or hoarding groceries (because if the world ends, then who needs groceries?)

Besides, I've still got my survival gear leftover from Y2K, when the world system was to collapse because computers weren't going to roll over from 1999 to 2000. Remember that?

But lets assume the folks in the tinfoil hats have it right. (this time) Some dark asteroid is headed our way and BLAMMO... no more earth.

This is different from knowing that your own life as an individual is concluding. I/we would not want to leave our survivors with some mess to clean up.

But if the entire planet and all life on it ends on a day certain, that is an entirely different scenario. In this case you are relieved of many moral obligations. If the power company is not going to exist after the winter solstice, then there is not much point in paying the December power bill.

What would be your plans?

I'd take the family (including our grown kids, who have never been on an RV trip with us) down to Dauphin Island. I'd clean out the bank and max the credit cards on good seafood and spend a lot of quiet time with them on the beach. My wife would play her music for anyone who wanted to listen. My son would bring his telescope to see the asteroid as it approached.

But there is no asteroid and the world I suspect will not be ending quite just yet, so I guess tomorrow it's off to work at 5 am as usual, and I'd better pay the ORR.net server bill for this month

But, just for fun, what would be your plans?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote