View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #19
Radio
Administrator

Finally got to tow with the mods.

The tires and shocks make for a nice firm ride when not towing and running 60 psi. When towing with 70 psi in the rear, things get a little rough, but there is no sway or any other undesirable characteristics. (The old adage about running over a dime and telling if it was heads or tails comes to mind)

The deep pan (and minus the silly valve box thingy) plus the already installed aftermarket cooler kept the transmission cool for the entire trip, with air temps on the expressway getting to 100 F per the in dash thermometer in the truck. In stop and go traffic max was 200 F and chilled out to 180 F once we got some air flow on the expressway at 65 mph.

The instructions for the Airaid intake and throttle body spacer said they might be a bit noisy. I never heard them until this trip. Coming up a steep, short, entrance ramp turning about 3500 rpm I finally heard a sucking sound from under the hood, not objectionable but it took a moment to realize what it was. That was the only time I heard it on this trip or any other time for that matter.

The 3 inch exhaust wasn't as loud as I thought it would be.

But between the smaller diameter tires (only .40 inch taller than OEM), the intake and exhaust upgrades there wasn't any problem towing the trailer. Acceleration under load seems to have been improved. Never got a chance to measure a real MPG because I had a mix of towing and not towing.

I have considered changing the axle from 3.55 to 3.73 but for the cost and performance I'm getting now I think I'll wait in that. The truck is also my daily driver so keeping what economy I have is important to me.

And the best part is, the truck is paid for.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote