View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Manual Garcia O'Kely

I don't know where, although honestly, for the money, Harbor Freight has 25 watt panels that are exactly the right size for my application - I have a Yakima roof rack on the trailer and I'm going to mount the panels to the roof rack so that I have plenty of airspace under them. Plus, if you look at my pics you can see there's a skylight/Fan-Tastic fan in the middle of the roof so the panels must accommodate that opening.

HF also sells reasonably sized solar charger controls as well to keep the 50 watts of panel from cooking my 72 AH battery.

Since my battery storage is limited [and there is no practical way to put a bigger battery - the existing one maxes out the potential space], there's little point to more than about 3-6 amps of solar power - more than 6 is hard charging and is simply not needed unless I plan continuous operation of the radio, at which point I strongly consider a campground with AC power OR a generator.

Even if I run my DC/AC inverter [120 watts max] and use that to power the laptop, the inverter draws maybe 4 amps and a movie only lasts a couple of hours - how many can you watch before you fall asleep?

Of course, if we don't get any sun for several days on end, there could be issues. But not here in CA very often anyway.

We did see some campers in Yosemite with some serious panels - one fellow had about 300 watts of panel all on a break-down aluminum frame that tilted 'em as desired. Another guy had an 80 or 100 propped up against his rig, another fellow a couple of 60 watter's on tilt mounts on the roof of his pickup based slide-in camper.

One firm rule with my camper is: No extra work - anything that has to be stowed and unstowed had better have a darn good purpose or forget it!
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote