View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #22
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
It's almost always never about whether or not the vehicle can tow it, but rather can it stop it. One ton dually pickups are used as hot shot trucks towing loads over 40k. Difference is that the trailers have brakes that will stop the trucks. Truly the tail wagging the dog. My trailer brakes can stop my 50k motor home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
You meant to say, truly the trail wagging the drag. Right?
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used to tow a 30 ft travel trailer behind a severely underpowered 1977 Malibu Classic.

There were electric brakes on the TT that I could of course activate from the driver's seat. I could do this independently of whether I was braking the Malibu or not.

The TT brakes would stop the whole rig, albeit slowly... but those electric brakes would stop it. Seems to be a well engineered system. I see above a trailer behind your MH will stop your whole rig.

Not sure how (or if) a car being towed behind a MH has it's brakes applied??? Maybe they don't ??? Cars don't have electric brakes... HMmmm...

I am really naive about this MH stuff. Sorry for the (probably) bone-headed question .

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote