View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Memorial Holiday Weekend

Looking at the Passport America newsletter they said AAA is predicting the travel traffic to be the heaviest since 2005. I will be staying in the S&B that weekend. Campgrounds will be a zoo and towing a trailer in crazy traffic isn't something I want to jump into. During my working years I endured a lot of holiday traffic. I have over 4.5 million miles looking out the windshield and have traveled extensively everything east of the Mississippi River. I remember one year I was going to call on one of my dealers on the Delmarva Peninsula and took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge east from Annapolis (Hwy 301)on Labor Day Monday. Very little traffic going east but that is basically the last long weekend of the year for going to the beach and at that time there were toll booths going both east and west. The highway was 4 lane divided and I drove past 30 miles of vehicles stopped dead (2 lanes wide). I imagine some of those people packed up and headed back at 5:00pm and didn't get home until after midnight. Everyone was headed home at the same time. They have since remedied the problem and got rid of the westbound toll booths and just doubled the toll going east. Now there is no stopping at the west end of the bridge.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote