Thread: Navassa Island
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
electricflyer

Yeah, I forgot about that. When I worked him on 20M though you had to be an Extra. That may be why he worked that split on 15M. Radio, you need to work some DX and get back in the groove of working split. I can't compete with the big guns as I only use 100Ws so I have to be patient and wait until they take a break and then when they com back on the air jump on it before the pile-up builds. I've got a 811H but never hooked it up. Navassa ranks as #2 in rarity, I think that refers to IOTAs. It's great for the US hams since it is between Haiti and Puerto Rico. The US Fish and Wildlife Service manages it and it is claimed as a US territory but Haiti claims it also.

I worked a guy one time and he was on 14.151 but was working split and he was 5 up so he was away from the SSB band edge. The country he was from allowed him to work at our band edge.

This kind of like chasing grids on 6M. Some of the grids in the US have no hams in them. I know one of the grids off of the mouth of the Mississippi has a sand bar that surfaces at low tide so it isn't very good for setting up a station. The guys on the Magic Band get notified by a ship captain on a freighter who is a ham when he will be passing through the grid square. He docks in New Orleans a couple times a year and lets everyone know his time schedule. I've talked to a Chief Engineer on a oil tanker a couple times, once when he was in the Caribbean and one when he was off the coast of Brazil, both time on 10M. He was from Hungary and did 6 month tours at sea the off for 6 months.

Thinking about the split they were working on 15M they probably transmitted on the high end of the band so there would be less QRM to bother them. Some of these guys are alligator hams, all mouth and no ears.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote