View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mp View Post
Some people just want to take the easy way out. Just like the ARRL did with the code requirements so the maufacturers can sell more equipment. Didn't work, did it!!! Made many friends using CW. But one can only promote ham radio so far...when they hear you have to take tests and study...that's out of the question...
Now that is 1: Just plain mean and 2: not quite factual

The ARRL did not do away with code. In fact they do not have the authority to do away with (or require) code. the FCC did. And the FCC did not do it at the ARRL's Request. Though the ARRL did, for political reasons that benefit all of us, aggree to support the FCC action, it was the FCC's decision, not the ARRL's

The decision to REQUIRE code in the first place had nothing to do with ham radio but with the ARMY. (Well Military in general) The code requirement was there because the military wished to have a cadre of trained CW operators they could "Tap" (Draft) in time of war.. And they have, many times.

Back in the 1960's about 40 years ago, the Military stopped teaching code, and now, 40 years later, the FCC caught on and has stopped requiring it.

However: Lease anyone thing an Extra class license is easier to get today than it was in oh, say 1970. Back then you had to know CW. Today, Rocket science. Yes, there are questions in the extra exam pool which are genuine rocket science and it is for sure you will be asked at least one of them. Back in 1970 they did not ask those questions. So I'd not say it's gotten any easier, Even if I did pass on the 1st try (NOTE: I was not surprised when I passed I was well prepared)

But the code requirement was dropped because the Military no longer uses it. Had nothing to do with what the ARRL wanted. Had nothing to do with what I wanted. Just what the Army (and it's ilk) wanted
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote