View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
FIRE UP

Hey Gang,
I surely thank you for answering me on this part of the forum. While I'm not exactly new to Ham, I have had my Tech ticket now for just over 11 years. I've never really gotten into the hobby. But, lately, it's become a bit more interesting to me. So much so that, I've got my original Yeasu VX-170 VHF handy-talky. A neighbor GAVE me an ICOM IC2000 quite a few years ago and that's the radio I used in my VW bug for a while with the glass mount antenna.

But, lately, as stated, I've gotten a bit more into it. I mounted that ICOM IC2000 in our Jeep and installed an NMO mount VHF antenna on the back. Then, I purchased a Baofeng UV-5R 8 watt handy talky and it's kind of a kick to play around with and it's dual band, for a mere $47.00.

So, since I had that stuff, I figured what the heck, lets put one in the motorhome. So, HRO supplied the Kenwood TM-281 and both my antennas. I didn't purchase the cable and programming software 'cause, I don't mind manually programming any of those radios, other than the Baofeng. It's a pain in the butt to manually program. Since most all of today's radios, be them dual or single band, all have pre-programmed repeater shifts/splits etc., it makes manual programming, a whole lot easier.
Scott
'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
'15 Jeep JKUR
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
HAM KI6OND
Yeasu VX-170
Baofeng UV-5R-8
ICOM 2000 VHF (in Jeep)
Kenwood TM281 VHF w/Diamond NR-72BNMO on a mag mount.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote