View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

How can we help you.. I have 3 software packages that I can use for PSK-31 I will run down them and list a few features and difference

All 3 are Donation ware. donation optional. (In short the price is what you can afford)

All 3 either include a log book function, or interface to an external log, or both, and YP-LOG is also donation ware.

Now the differences:

Hamscope can monitor one or two streams of data, YOU choose the streams, it has lots of user definable "Macors' (for example my QTH is such a macro) and features. Seems to do a decent job of decoding, and the full package includes the abiltiy to do PSK-31 QPSK, RTTY CW, MFSK and Packet, some are done via external programs. (Also free or included)

DIGIPAN. Does not have as many modes (won't do MFSK for example Does do Pactor) But the "Multi channel" window can monitor up to 26 streams at one time.. AND.. Optionally (You set it up) Highlight folks calling CQ or CQ DX. Very nice

Both programs also measure the other stations IMD for you (you want a minus sign followed by a big number, -20 is very good, but the larger the absolute value the better)

Ham Radio Delux is now distributed with Digital-Master 780.

now this program does a whole lot of modes, including Olivia and Throb, and I"m told (But have yet to figure out) that it can send a "Mode ID" at the start of a transmission to allow other copies of itself to auto-select the mode (I'm working on that, I mean I only installed it Sunday)

It adds Slow Scan Television to your choice of communications as well.. I have already received a few SSTV transmissions. (Have not attempted transmit yet)

Of the 3 I like Hamscope best however the bias on this is that it is the first one I tried, and I got used to it.. Digiapan is not a whole lot different, but enough so that I use it for CQ spotting

Oh, Ham Radio Delux has a "Super Browser" as well (They call the PSK-31 window a "Browser") which like Digipan can monitor several PSK-31 transmissions at one time.

Now, operation.... You need software on the computer and an interface, The instructions that come with Digital Master 780 (or Ham Radio Delux, I'm not sure which) tell you how to build an adapter almost exactly like the one I designed and use (Some minor differences) i have one suggestion and that's to put a toggle switch in the PUSH TO TALK line so you can disable PTT.

(NOTE to hardware manufactueres and designers.. Please consider that inhibit switch)

I have one USB-RS-232 adapter that defaults in the "Transmit" position so I need to switch off whenever I boot my computer.

Or you can buy one anywhere from too much to way way too much in my not very humble opinion (My budget makes yours look big)

Once it is interfaced to the radio you need to adjust your audio out on the computer, or audion in on the radio (one nice thing about a kenwood TS-2000 is that it has two independent audio in's one front, one back, and the PTT selects them (it has two PTT's too) and they each have their own "mic Gain" "knobs" (Adjustments)

YOu want to set it so you get NO ALC, and you want to limit power on your transmitter to, at the most 1/2 of it's rating (50 watts on the TS-2000, I normally aim for 30% or 30 watts)

That is really about it. QSOing is more or less normal "Chat" if you are a rag chewer. And "Consest normal" if you are a contester.

A lot of the "Administrative" stuff such as logging is done by the program.. I just click on one button to log the contact (Well a bit more since I'm a mobile/portable and I type in my QTH)

I can tell you this.. .It is a lot of fun.. I kind of feel like the kid in the candy store

Oh,, Radio settings.. Some software (Digital master) will suggest frequencies on the control panel, the rest in the HELP user's manual but 7.035 is a good starting point most evenings.

USB please, disable noise reduction and set your audio filters to "Barn Door" (full open) for the widest possible bandwith.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote