View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default Getting better Internet service

I'm frustrated. I use excellent equipment to maximize Wi-Fi service wherever I am. But I have found that Wi-Fi provided in RV parks could extract ionized hydrogen efficiently in intergalactic space. That is, it really sucks.

For example, there's a new map update available for my Magellan GPSs. I can't get it, though, because at the speed available in the RV park I'm in, at $30 per month, it would take eight hours to download, and the service usually doesn't stay up for eight hours at a stretch. Also they double-charged me a month ago, and I couldn't get them to do anything about it. Finally got the credit card company to get it back for me, which they did readily.

Once I parked in front of a branch library of Leon County Public Library (Tallahassee, FL) and had 10 Mb/second on my wi-fi; and it was free. If I were there right now, I could download the new maps in about 15 minutes. Here, eight hours.

Not only is it slow here, it disconnects at about 5:00 every morning. Every morning, and I have to log back on. This, too, can pull a laboratory-quality vacuum of about a microtorr, which is a very good vacuum indeed.

So what else could I do? Are there other services I'm ignorant of? Satellite internet? Internet through cell-phone providers? Someone out there knows much more than I do. Help!