View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
w7wv

Default RV Antenna Support Ready For Use.

I wanted to extend my 108" whip for more efficiency and bands. It's tuned by my AH-4 tuner.
I made this antenna support and thought you might like to see it as it may give some an idea of what they can do without spending a fortune. You might even have a couple of $ left for fuel
I picked up this fiberglass telescoping pole off eBay for $41 on a "Buy It Now" from an outfit that has lots of them for sale all the time in various sizes. It's a Jackite and only weighs about 5# and collapses to some 46" or so.

I built this holder, kind of like a rod holder for fishing, out 2' of 2 1/2" PVC and a cap ($3). I bought the pipe by the foot at Ace for less than $4 so don't buy a 10' pipe. I drilled holes in the cap to keep it from filling with water if it rains.
I used 2 1/2" pipe swivels ($5 total) and two lumber construction brackets ($3) with two 1/2" bolts and nuts and washers to fit my ladder on my RV. Although not shown it will need secured to the ladder to hold the 31' pole when it's up. But you could use a couple pair of vice grips or straps for that.

And this last pix shows the pole telescoped to the 31' length. I have a key ring in the tip of this pole which allows me to pull a small 1/8" Dacron line through it to raise the wire to the top of the mast once it's clipped on to my 108" whip on the other end.

Needless to say this will be nice when I don't have any trees handy to throw some wire into. I didn't want anything that was permanent and I didn't want to spend a fortune doing it either. At least with this system it's all self contained on the RV and very portable and easy to store.
I am told by the people that made the pole it supports the wind socks it's made for to around 25 MPH. Other hams use these poles for dipoles while camping too and they claim the poles work well.
Of course it won't be used going down the road but I have enough to do just driving without talking on the radio.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote