View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Me I'd have just displayed a slightly modified old plate (I'd use something to block the state name on the plate and other things so it's just the call that shows)

What you need to do is mount a letter writing campaign.

Now. one other thing.. The states are REQUIRED under the homeland security act to provide for an emergency communactions plan that includes Amateur radio.. Many may not know this but both the ARRL and some professional newsletters I've read (I am a retired police dispatcher, Yup, get paid for telling cops where to go, Does it even get better than that?) did cover that requirement.

When I applied for call sign plates I had to sign an agreement which said that if the county sheriff, or director of the state police (my ex-boss) ever calls upon me to assist in a communications emergency I will respond.. Has happened.. Once.

If nobody signs up for call sign plates.. Then the state can't require we hams respond, and thus can't generate such a plan and thus may loose millions in federal funds.. All over a relative small amount of fee income on the plates.

This might be a talking point (After full research of course) in the letters to your congress critters.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote