View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I have stayed (during Hamvention in 2012) at Poor Farmer's RV Park in Fletcher OH.

Pros: It's quiet, never crowded, never full. It's fairly cheap, $25 a night a couple years ago. The water ain't bad. There are 50 amp and 30 amp hookups. If you're close enough (50 yd) to the office, you can get free wi-fi. There are things like Walmart and acceptable restaurants in nearby Piqua. The park has public showers.

Cons: No sewer hookup. There's a guy who goes around and pumps you out, $10 a whack, not too bad and you needn't be there, no muss, no fuss. It's something like 30 miles to the Hamvention, but it's 30 easy miles. There is no laundromat at the park, nor in Piqua, the nearest quaint little town. There's one in Troy, the next town south, though, findable by GPS if you get the address through Google.

Bottom line: unless you reserve 18 months in advance, this is the closest you're going to get anyway, and it's actually rather pleasant and bucolic. The terrain is hilly, but many of the sites are level, and it's never full; you can always get in. When I was there, the nearest other RV was about 100 feet away. Most of the people in the park will be there for the weekend, and are not hams, and perhaps have never heard of the Hamvention.