View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #89
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

If you like getting up in the morning I sometimes check into the Breakfast club (Usually between 7 and 8 am Eastern for me) 3973 KHz

It is fun on that band. This morning I'm not (yet) having any issues hearing NCS, who is in Mo. But I expect him to fade shortly (It's 8am Eastern, I'm in Michigan)

The other day Dave, some fifty miles (if that) from me was NCS during this hour, and I could not hear him at all. Heard zero's and fours and all sorts of other zones but Dave.. Long about 7:50 am he went from RS 00 to 11, 21, 22, .. 5x9 and I completed the check in just like that.

In the evening (4-5 eastern) I check into the Wolverine SSB net on 3935Khz. The pre-net is "Chaos" format, no NCS, just a list taker (Sometimes me) and you just jump in, ID every 10 minutes and that's the only "Formal" Very "party line" type chat.
The 'Formal" net (With an NCS and wait your turn) is currently at 5 pm eastern or there about. When band conditions change we will go back to Pre-net at 5pm formal at 6, NOTE: we tend to follow UTC for that net (Meaning we switch about the same time we switch to/from Dumb Stupid Time (DST) so the pre-net is 2100 zulu and the formal net 2200 Depending on the net this one works the other way.. Stations here in Michigan are like Bo-Derrek aging 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-is he even transmitting. as the band goes LONG http://www.wssbn.com for more info on that net

The rest of the time.. In the winter.. Well. Here in the motor home only the radio room, Which measures 42" by 50" (less cabinets) is heated, currently 100 watts full time 150 when I sit down and 1000/1500 if needed (When I'm here) NO plumbing (Well, plumbing but no water) so I only come out for the nets and the occasional visit on a nice day (Today?) to scan the digital portion of the bands.

Come summer I'll be out here more often as we have found that with membership camping If I pull out and drive 70 miles (about 10 gallon of gas each way) I can park the rig, toss the wire up in the trees and get free, Electric, cable TV and Internet (All the comforts of home) and spend perhaps 10 bucks on Propane, currently 40 on gas, and save over 100 on electricity for the house (Since I"m not using much) every 2 weeks camping.

We plan on doing a lot of camping
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote