View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Only time I was in Iowa was for a week, as a consultant to state govt in Des Moines. It was very cold indeed. Very cold. Very. First week in February, 1997 or so I think.

A colleague and I walked one block to McDonald's for a quick lunch. On the way back he kept looking behind. On inquiry he said he was checking the path to see whether his ears had actually fallen off.

Several consultants shared a rent car, and on the last Friday, when we would go to the airport to go home (me to Texas, others to New York or California, wherever they lived), we all left our luggage in the car in the parking lot. One of the guys said later that, on his flight home, something awful-smelling started dripping from the overhead bin. It turned out that his after-shave had frozen in his luggage and burst the bottle, then thawed in the overhead bin.

It was cold in Des Moines, chill factor minus 52. But two weeks later I was in Milwaukee and the chill was minus 58. Do you know, I could actually feel the difference!

Those two weeks -- one in Des Moines, one in Milwaukee -- were the coldest I've ever been. How do people live up there?