View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
N9JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM48 View Post
Looking to install a TS480SAT in my Class C. Would I be better off connect directly to the house battery or the truck battery or going thru the fuse block?
Thanks
I have a Class B Motorhome. The radio is in a cabinet behind the driver's seat. In my vehicle the engine battery is right below the driver's feet. it was easiest (by far) and closest to run power from that battery rather than from my house batteries.

The radio head (Icom IC-7100) is on a little desk right behind the driver (when parked the front seats swivel around). The antennas are on the roof and their coax and control line enter thru a waterproof housing on the roof right into this cabinet.

Yes, I have to be careful not to discharge the battery but there is an interconnect which allows the house batteries to boost the engine battery for starting the engine. On board is solar, and a generator. And of course if I am at a campsite with power then no problem at all.

So for me, the engine battery was closest, easy to get power line to radio. I hear no noise from any component of the camper except the inverter and even that is pretty quiet and can easily be switched off.
Kevin N9JKP
N9JKP is offline   Reply With Quote