View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Radio goes shopping, again! - $20 mattress pad and a fix for harsh ceiling fan lights

Having been somewhat depressed by the high cost of mattress pads, I had considered going to a fabric store and buying a 60" x 80" piece of 1/2" foam. I pretty much like the RV mattress we have, especially the fact that it is heated.

While at Target this week I came across a "Comfy Foam" mattress pad. Queen size is $20, full is $15 and twins are even less. The foam surface has those tiny "egg crate" dimples. After a brief "test rest" I think this is just what we needed.

Also I have been muttering under my breath about the harshness of the light from our ceiling fan. I had been looking for some time for a softer light, possibly a frosted bulb to replace the original halogen spots with.

At Home Depot I came across this solution: A GU-10 based compact fluorescent replacement. This bulb draws only 7 watts (rather than 35 - 50) and produces very little heat, which might be nice on a hot summer night and reduces load on park supplies and generators.

As with many CF bulbs, the light is dim and purple-ish until the bulb warms up. I like the softer, not quite as bright (almost!) light. Some what pricey at about $8 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0228feb28randomstuff0016.JPG (22.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0228feb28randomstuff0017.JPG (27.0 KB, 46 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote