View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Angry Should have paid cash, U.S. Bank kicks you when you are down

I am reluctant to post this because many folks do not read the original post before replying. Read it all and assume nothing.

Here's the deal...I purchased my 5th wheel 13 months ago from a very good dealer. The good dealer got us financed with U.S. Bank. That's nice.

Fast forward. I was laid off April 17, 2009. Fast forward. The Christian School where my wife was a music teacher closed, giving her 1/2 of her final paycheck. They are broke, in the hole and are selling off all the desks and school materials. They're gone forever. And the wife can't draw unemployment because as a non-profit they were not required to pay into the system.

We now live in a paid for house but we owe $22,000 on the 5th wheel. We live on $350 a week, that's my UI check.

So I call U.S. Bank, and I suggest that since I am still current, we move to a deal where I pay the interest each month, the principle balance remains constant and when I get re-employed, I pick up regular payments again. I keep the trailer, the bank makes even more money than they originally planned and every body is happy.

There response: "NO!"

I explain that a local bank did this for me back in 1982, it is legal, banks do it all the time, and you will make more money this way.

There response: "NO!"

There plan is to beat me over the head "with the contract I willingly signed" and if I should default, then they repo the trailer, sell it at auction and sue me for the difference. Nice. Remember I am current with my payments, not past due on anything (yet)

So I called the reputable dealer and spoke to the owner. Told him all about how U.S. Bank will not work with a customer, even when he is current. And then I suggested that there may soon be an almost new Rockwood 8280SS at auction for say, $10K to $14K at best, so the bank will then be in the RV business competing WITH HIS DEALERSHIP at prices he can't get anywhere near. He was pretty livid about it, since his finance group sold me the loan. And he doesn't like competing with re-po lots. So he said he'd give several folks at U.S Bank a call and read them the riot act, since he sells 50 units a week and 25% of them fiance with U.S. Bank.

Compare this with my local credit union who has the loan on the truck. The loan officer took a lot of notes, noted I STILL have my 755 credit rating, and said she would take this up with "the loan committee" with the assurance that while they might not bite on the "interest only for a while" scheme, they almost always figure out a way to reduce a note for a pro-active customer with good credit.

So when you get the itch to get that next new RV, use your local credit union. Stay away from big brainless banks, and U.S. Bank in particular.

Because when you are down, U.S. Bank will not help you, even if it's in their own best interest.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote