View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
Walt123

Default Great results from vertical on RV trailer

Hi folks,
I wanted to show what I am using now on my RV setup as a result of seeing this thread.
It is the Jackite 31' pole holding #20 wire aloft, driven by an AH-4 tuner and a IC-7000 radio (inside the trailer).
The photo shows the antenna mounted to the front of the trailer. The pole mount is a section of 2.5" Sch 40 rigid PVC conduit (the pole fits the tube perfectly), held to the trailer frame with a u-bolt (also a perfect fit). The u-bolt was a part of a flagpole bumper mount from Poles and Holders that I purchased separately from my local RV shop.
At the tuner, and the radio, I am using 4 Fair-rite #2631803802 ferrites with both the coax and tuner cable wrapped through them a few times. I have not seen any RF problems from 80 - 6m.
Also, the tuner ground is strapped to the trailer frame. The setup and takedown are about 15 minutes at most.

Results: camping at Pismo Beach in CA, (1 block from the Pacific Ocean), I logged 30 DX stations over a few days, mostly Europe on 15 and 20m with JT65, some PSK63, and one RTTY from New Zealand on 12m. You can see some of the results on my QRZ website.

I also have a 21' flagpole mounted to the rear ladder that I may use to support a horizontal extension of the antenna.

Walt KD6NJE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_2421.jpg (29.1 KB, 76 views)
Walt123 is offline   Reply With Quote