View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
dmreese1

Greetings,

I have been fielding a vertical antenna for quite some time while full timing in my MH and would like to offer a few pictures and some of my findings.

I chose the Butternut / Bencher HF6V, which I purchased used and did a restoration on. I modified the mounting to use a homemade round wooden mount and a Hustler antenna base. Total investment under $300.

I have researched this quite a bit and my opinion is that a vertical needs ground radials. To accomplish this I built my tilting mount and attached 16 ea 25 foot metal tape measures as easy radials to deploy and pull up. I found that this is a sufficient number of radials to achieve reasonable radiation efficiency which is somewhat verified by the narrow resonant bandwidth on both 40M and 80M.

I can deploy this antenna very quickly and it has been modified at the mounting end to come apart in 2 small sections. The other tubes telescope down inside themselves and are easily stored.

The issues with these types of verticals if they are mounted above the ground more than a few inches (I.E., ROOF OF THE FIBERGLASS RV) becomes one that requires tuned radials by band, mounted at the base of the antenna. The best website I have seen with an answer to this issue is the Scorpion antenna site, they make a kit using loaded whips that provide a tuned radial system and I believe their whips are band adjustable. See link.

http://www.scorpionantennas.com/inde...id=1&Itemid=65

I also have a great DX antenna, the Trans World Antennas TW-2010 that needs no ground plane and goes up in minutes. Great DX antenna!! This limits me to 10-20 meters so the vertical gets me up on 40-80 meters.

Alan Alexander, K0BG, has a really great website that discusses mobile verticals in much detail and for anyone considering a vertical or screwdriver on an RV or vehicle, this is a must read. The wealth of information that Alan has collected over 38 plus years will provide a sound base for this type of project. www.k0bg.com

73's

Duane
K3AL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2902-600.jpg (35.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3469-600.jpg (61.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3466-600.jpg (54.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3468-600.jpg (62.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3463-600.jpg (39.4 KB, 86 views)
dmreese1 is offline   Reply With Quote