View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
WA6CDE

I have been using the hustler 4/5/6 btv now for years. I orginally thought up the mount for the 31 ft Airstream trailer that I lived in while in the service. Using the rear bumper as the mount... with a fold over designed (sq steel tubing) and a simple ball lock pin... I came up with a mount that would be on the left side of the rear on the airstream... the left side then when the antenna was folded over...forward... then didn't interfear with the awning on the right side.. The antenna base was located at the roof line of the trailer... and would then fold flat on the roof... into a dock V attached to the refrig vent to keep it from bouncing around when under way while folded down. I used springs and longer screws for making the spider assembly fold back also... without removal. The hustler antenna is strong enough to take almost hurricane force winds... at the base down in the south. Ya it bent the large long base pole.. but for a few bux it was put back into service. I only had good things to say about the hustler 5 btv... but today with the other bands... one wonders how good it would work... of course the 31 ft Airstream being made out of Alu... provided the single leg of the ground plane... although I did have a electrical connector attached to the frame in the back of the trailer... so I could also throw out a radial or two from the rear... worked slick... and was cheap to boot... no antenna turner.. and yep we could run a linear as the antenna would handle that too... just make sure you either winde 6-10 turns of the coax at the base of the antenna.. or use today the W2DU type of choke balun... to keep the rf out of the inside of the trailer/MH... I orginally had drawings of how to build it... being a engineer... we do them kinds of things... and I have 'em on paper ... didn't have computers back then... around here somewhere... but we published the fold over trailer hitch reciever mount over on the Murry net 7.235 noon time Pac... and the NA6R.com web site...
One of the other guys (a WA8 call now SK) who went to the wally bomb camp out meeting... copied my design and posted it on the QST web site... but used some electrical rack channel.. instead of the steel tubing... you can still see it over on the ARRL net.. site...

If you need help... on how to make this work for yours... I would suggest using the hitch mount with a extension... and mount the 5BTV up on that... no need for guys or ropes... but it then could be broken down.. (use electrical tape on the tubing after finding your resonance) and the antenna stored in 3 pieces...
WA6CDE is offline   Reply With Quote