Thread: TS Debby
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Hi Folks....

We've been lucky here at our QTH. We lost power Sunday evening about 8PM CT. Just a little after sunset. The power was off for about 3 1/2 hours. Most of our rains came yesterday (Monday) with it sometimes raining as much as 1 1/2 inch per hour. I have measured, since Friday, 11 8/10 inches of rain. The last taken about 8 AM today. The skies are clearing here now. We still have some constant winds of about 12 mph. We mat get a little more rain but I don't think it will be anything serious.

The northern Gulf of Mexico (in our area), known as the "Big Bend Area" and "Apalachee Bay" are for the most part very shallow. When a storm approaches from the direction Debby came from, the winds blow the tides north toward the coast. The waters being shallow and the excess having no where to go, piles up into a surge and causes most of the damage and dangers. This happening along with the tremendous amount of rainfall creates serious flooding and beach erosion. We certainly needed the rain from the drought situation but a good slow drizzle would have worked better. It's OK though, we'll take whatever we can get.

We live on a fairly steep incline with a creek to the rear of our property. Luckily for us, all the water runs off into the creek and does not stand and cause flooding conditions. Many of the residents in the Tallahassee area over to Lake City and Live Oak are experiencing flooding conditions at this time. I spoke with a friend in Live Oak this morning that had to leave his home last night. The water was about to enter his home.

The last I heard about 35,000 people were without power. One ham operator that I speak with in the Carrabelle area told me yesterday he and others in his area had been without commercial power for three days.

I have a few photos I'll upload. Most were taken by a friend and fellow ham that is a Deputy Sheriff and was working along the coast in the south end of our county last Saturday.