View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Carl needs to expand his musical horizons!
It's more than fifty years since the last time someone told me that. It was written in a birthday card accompanying a Frank Zappa tape. Yuck.

The college friend who wrote it never listened to anything that wasn't played on electric guitar.

I gave him a tape of classical guitar (Laurindo Almeida) to start him off. He'd never heard that stuff before, nor had he ever heard (or even heard of, I think) bassoons, oboes, cellos, etc. He had heard of trumpets, but was amazed to learn that they come in various sizes and tonal ranges. Same for flutes, clarinets and such.

He categorized all non-guitar music as "classical" and affected disdain for it. I think he was afraid of it. I got him to listen to renaissance, baroque, romanticism, actual classical, neo-romanticism, and even ragtime (Joplin -- Scott, not Janis) and jazz for the first time. Oh yes, and Brubeck. He even grew to like some of it, especially Joplin, which I love. Joshua Rifkin plays it best.

He never succeeded in expanding my musical horizons, though. I'm still the same narrow-spectrum, one-eared old stick-in-the-mud I've always been.