View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
MarkMAP
VHF-UHF-Microwave(and HF)

Hello Wade & Friends,

My first post here, so, First let me thank-you for operating this website for Ham radio & RV for 8 years!

Tow Vehicle Weight, Truck Size , Tire Sizes and Rear End Gear Ratios are always a trade-off with Transmission Gearing, Gas Mileage & Power.

The F250 would pull much easier, but I'd bet a loss of 3-6mpg would occur vs. the F150, in most cases. I am going to sell my 2006 F250 soon, and downsize to a Tacoma size pickup. But, we are only towing an Eggcamper (2000# empty). The best highway mpg on the F250 is 15.

My F250, and some F150's have a Tow setting for the transmission, which should, somewhat, make up for the taller tires by automatically shifting to a lower gear when needed. That makes the effective axle ratio when using tires of a different size, less of a factor.

We towed the Egg with our 4 cyl. Subaru Outback and you wouldn't be wrong to say it was kind of "gutless". But it did the job from Massachusetts to Florida and Texas and back just fine. Got only about 17 towing, while 30+ without the camper. The F250 gets about 10-12 towing the Egg.

While Gas is fairly low right now, it could go past $4 a gallon at any time. So, I don't mind putting up with a little bit of "gutless" in order to go where we want to and save on gas expense.

There are 2 advantages to larger tires, first is (usually) not having to replace them as often, and second, stability is usually just be a bit better also. Maybe the solution for you is to buy a larger, that is, wider, tire, but not a higher nor a lower height tire. If I am regularly carrying some weight in any vehicle, I like to go up just one size in tires if possible, and again, not usually much taller, but a bit wider.

We monitor 146.520 FM and 144.200 usb while traveling and use a Kenwood TS2000. I have hooked up an HF antenna at times, but don't have one on any of our vehicles right now.

I hope we can get to the Orlando, FL, Hamcation again next Feb., as we have for the last few years. The Florida Weak Signal Society has a meeting there and a bunch of the members have tables in the tailgate area, and that is where we usually meet-up. Look for Down East Microwave and you can find us, and stop by for an eyeball.

Mark K1MAP
Western Massachusetts
MarkMAP is offline   Reply With Quote