View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Radio
Administrator

Digging up this tired thread...

OK, want to go back to the OEM sized tire so I can get my OEM axle performance back, just before I kick it up to 1:3.83 (from 1:3.55)

And I'd really like to have a load range E tire, except that, wait for it... wait... wait...
nobody makes a load range E tire in 255/65r17 the size which comes standard on most 1/2 tons with 17" rims.

Dang it. Now I have to figure out what size "E" tire is closest to the same diameter as the 30.1" OEM tires I used to have.

So after several days of asking questions at my favorite tire store (where the 75 year old owner is a friend of mine but tends to be a bit old school) and doing research online I figure out the closest diameter is a 245/70r17 that comes in a service range of 119/116 and is a load range "E" tire. Unless you ask "Mr. Old-School-Tire-Guy" who swears it's not a real "E" unless it's a 10 ply tire.

The OEM 255/70r17 is 30.1" tall and the 245/70r17 is 30.5. This changes the axle from 3.55 to 3.50. I can deal with it. And the tire is rated at 3000 pounds. And doesn't have 10 plies therefore it rides sort of nice, to be a truck tire.

So after much fumbling around, the winner is: Michelin LTX M/S2 245/70r17 119/116 rE

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....S2V2&tab=Specs

Now the only problem is getting a tire that seems to be made entirely of unobtainium. Calls to the Michelin distributor indicate they don't have them in stock, might not even have heard of them, and don't have an idea when they will have an idea until after January 1st.

Cooper, Firestone and Bridgestone all make a competing tire, and cheaper, too. But noisier, rougher riding and warranty at only 50K not 70K.

Fortunately I have time (and some tread) left. I'll go with Cooper if I need to. But at least I know there are tires out there that will do the job I want them to do. When I started looking I didn't think I could get a usable (right diameter) "E" tire for my F150.

All I have to do now is wait.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote