View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I say any new buyer should also compare the work it takes to set up a trailer at a campsite with the work it takes to set up a motor home at the same campsite.

I see people pull in next to me and spend literally hours outside in the heat unhooking the thing from the tow vehicle (especially if it's a 5th wheel) and getting it level. Before I bought, I was warned of this by my old friend WI5G, who was a Foretravel service manager and knows more about RVs than I know about everything I know about.

I spend about five minutes (maximum) outside unhooking the toad, then another five minutes in the air-conditioned driver seat of the MH, leveling up. Then I hook up the shore power, but wait for the cool of the evening to hook up anything else. Departure is even easier.

At my age, with some physical infirmities, I don't think I could set up some of the towables I watch arriving and departing. Just last week, in 95 degree heat, the guy who arrived next to me spent more than two hours outside, running back and forth between his corners, adjusting jacks, putting stuff under the jacks, digging out tools to adjust the jacks, etc. He looked tired and dirty.

That's not to say that everyone should decide as I did -- but it is to say that it ought to be high on the list of things newbies are told about before deciding what to buy. Only then should they decide.