Thread: 12 volt TV
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ham View Post
... with most internet posts, if the post goes for more [than] 3 replies ... it quickly drifts off topic, and the question is not answered, and all you get is opinions.
I think that's one of the things that make the conversation interesting and fun. Sort of like a wandering bull session in a college dorm. But it sometimes drives the OP crazy with frustration. Whether I judge this as good or bad depends upon who the OP is.

Quote:
Terrestrial Television today is all digital.
Is that true? All the countries I've heard of are terrestrial, and I had read somewhere that in some countries NTSC and PAL were still to be found. But I can't claim really to know.

Quote:
VHF - where power consumption costs are much lower.
Could be, for all I know. But it would surprise me to learn that UHF transmitters are so much less efficient than VHF transmitters.

Quote:
The inverter box did not have enough juice to run the fridge - even though it was a 3000 watt commercial inverter ... I think it had something to do with the distance between the inverter and the fridge and the wiring in the house acting like a toaster.
Three KW is enough to run many compressor-type fridges, but not enough to start almost any of them. Most types of electric motors (including the ones sealed into refrigeration compressors) require as much as ten times the power to start that they require to continue running after starting.

Some 3KW generators, especially the simpler ones, can supply the temporary starting surge, but inverters are (typically) a bit less able to do so.

Quote:
Solar panels are only efficient if they are in direct sunlight.
Actually their efficiency (power out divided by power in) is nearly constant, although it depends somewhat on the color of the light. But at night they don't get significant (sunlight) power in, so can't produce significant (electric) power out.

Quote:
Solar panels do not produce [electricity] at night.
Sure they do. But they produce a heckuva lot less and it's not enough to be useful.