View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 AM   #33
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

TS-2000 report:

Recently it's been a daily player both on 2M and HF.
The CON'S:
1. both on 2M and HF , if you don't run the pre-amp (s) on Rx it's pretty hard of hearing , not saying that this is a bad thing , just stating a fact).
2. Programming memories is a bit troublesome at first , mostly due to the layout of the key's and the way it thinks.
3. I have been told that one can program power levels on a per-channel basis but have not been able to accomplish this as yet.
4. No "Fish-Finder" scope (do miss this on HF).
5. The display uses incandescent lamp's, not led's and is a FIXED color, there is an after market "MOD" to change it to either Green or Blue (I'll go with the Blue when the radio is out of warranty in about a year).

The PRO'S
1. The Mic. input is not picky, it will accept Hi-Z, Low-Z directly (I like this) not like the Icom or Yaesu rig's that use the Electrict-condenser type input that you must have an interface of some sort to make an older mic work with them.
2. Over-all, for a "SHACK-IN-A-BOX" rig it seems to be a good player , on the air report's have been good and I have not noticed any IMD on RX or any other strange thing's that can not be explained or dealt with simply , the filtering work's good and as far as CW goes I think it could be a good player .
3. All thing's considered, I would rate it higher than the FT-857 or the Alenico rig's but not near the IC-7600 or the big Yaesu rig's (but I'm an ICOM fan anyway).

I may find other thing's about this rig down the road but for now that's the report, I still use the 7600 on a daily basis also and still love it, the TS-2000 is a 10 year old design and there have been few up-dates to it , One thing I really do not care for is the lack of "RCA" connectors on the rear deck for amp control and ALC , everything along those lines has to have a special cable that is matched to one of the accessory sockets .

I can't say that the TS-2K would be a great "Camper Radio" but it has a great deal of "flexibility" in one box and yes there are draw-back's to having "all the egg's in one Basket".

Someone else who has one might try taking it camping and give us a "Road Report" , but for the moment it is worth some consideration .