Thread: New to Ham
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
KF5BET

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Galen,

Please do not feel bad about the call sign thing. I had WB4QBW since about 1970. I never liked the call. It was terrible when running CW and giving it out phoenetically was even a pain when using voice. After some consideration I changed my call recently to my current call of W4EWA. A good CW call (in my opinion) and when you drop the 4, it is the nick-name for the small town I live near, Wewahitchka. Wewahitchka is normally called Wewa by the locals because most people cannot pronounce the indian name. Anyway, I said all thay to say; At time I'm have a bad time saying my new myself when operating voice. I've screwed it up on several occassions, so don't worry about the confusion on your calls.

I think that is admirable of you and the other father taking the time to go through the course to get your licenses. It says a lot about you. Tell Abbi, if she is interested to create an identity and jump right in here too. I assure you this is a good bunch of guys. I don't think we have any YL's on the forum, she would be the first. We're kinda small but growing. ORR is "Radio's" brainchild and he, Greg and Mike do a great job with the forum. I can't say enough good things about them.

I'm just full of questions Galen. What do you do to bring home the bread up there ? I retired the end of July, 2005 after spending a number of years in law enforcement. I'm in the Florida panhandle, 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 25 miles east of Panama City. Some great places to RV near the beaches here if you get the oppertunity.

Welcome again Galen, we're looking forward to your posts.

Jim
Jim:

To answer your question...

I am an architect by trade. We mostly do commercial work, specializing in schools (K-12 and university work). We also do government work at the local and state level as well. We also do industrial and retail.

Now on to the fun stuff...camping.

We really enjoy camping. We bought a 1995 21' Nomad 5er about three years ago from a coworker who upgraded. The camper was in new condition even for its age. We have mostly camped at the state parks here in Louisiana as well as in Texas. We have gone to Seaworld in San Antonio and have also gone to Disneyworld in Orlando with it. Even though the camper is small (2 adults and 2 girls), we really have fun spending time together seeing new things.

Last year we went for a long weekend late September to Grayton State Park in Santa Rosa Beach. We really enjoyed the park very much. The park was a little over half full. We had the beach to ourselves. The water was beautiful and the weather was so nice, although the jellyfish were pretty bad. The girls have informed me that we will be doing the beach on a yearly basis. I heard Topsail is pretty nice, but very hard to get into.

Several years ago we stayed at Camping on the Gulf, but I did not like that park as well as Grayton.

OK now for a radio question.

I was given a Kenwood radio model TM-221A 2 meter mobile. The lights for the front display are burned out. I have taken the little lamps out but have no idea what the voltage or wattage is. There is a local electronics store here that carries the lamps, but I need the voltage. Does anyone out there know by chance what the voltage for those lamps would be? I found a service manual on the internet, but I am not sure I want to spend a whole lot of money on it seeing as I don't even know if it works yet (haven't hooked it up yet). Right now it is spread out in a bunch of pieces on the bench.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Galen
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote