View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The schematic of the hook up to the TS-2000 is fairly simple.

I will describe it as best I can (Which should be rather good)

On the back are two AUX connectors, one has audio in, audio out PTT and a few other thigns, we are only interested in the main band audio out, audio (mic) in PTT and ground, those are the only lines we will use, your owner's manual will give you the pin-out for that connector

Audio out (Main band) goes to a transformer 1:1 (Radio Shack) and from there to the computer's sound card LINE IN or MIC in (Whichever works best)

Audio out from the computer.. I took one channel to ground via an 8 ohm resistor the other goes via an 8-ohm L-pad to a 2nd 1:1 transformer and then on to the MIC-in... Optionally you may add a capacitor to help balance tone (you would like a very flat response so the power remains the same no matter where in the passband you are)

An quality RS-232 adapter (In my case an RTS-3 from RT industries) goes to the computer's RS-232 port If your computer has a RS-232 serial port you can skip this.

A 2nd RS-232 adapter (Prolific is good here) the CTS line feeds a 12 volt diode indicator array and a 2nd LED (This one is an I/R LED. The indicator is where I can see it, the I/R is inside the case.. It shines on an opto-transistor (Also I/R, same wavelength) which is hooked to one side of a switch, and to ground, the other side of the switch is the PTT.

If you E_mail me I can draw it out and send it but hopefully you can do it from here

I've got perhaps 10 bucks in this box using some scrap part and not counting the RS-232 converters

HRD and some other programs can also use a Parallel port keying for PTT.. Just a matter of different plug mostly.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote