View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Dick Noble

Default solar

Been a while since anyone posted to this thread. I'm new here but not to boondocking in an RV. My current system is 250w of solar, 500w wind generator and just purchased 4 - 64w panels so at max I should be able to generate 1KW into 4 12v deep cycle # 29 batteries for a total of 700AH. I use one 1200w (Coleman) inverter for a single circuit 120v (for the TV and HF radio). Everything else is off the 12v system. I have used #2 wire for most of this install so should have minimum line loss. I have also wired the batteries so that incoming current is spread over the entire bank and usage is reversed out over the entire bank - did that make sense? The wind generator is from www.windynation.com and is a PMA 500w one. They have a new system that I wish I had waited for since I think it would have cost less than the home brewed one I put together. PMA generates three-phase AC into a rectifier to 12v so I was able to use #12/3 wire from the gen. to the rectifier (and controller) and #2 to the batteries. I intend to use the 100amp controller for both the PMA generator and the 4 new (used) solar panels since the controller is designed for that. Current 250w solar system is into an MPPT BZ products controller but it is only rated for a max of 250watts. Be interesting to see if this system will stop any use of small gas generator at Imperial Dam. AZ Dec. and Jan.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote